Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Snips, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails....

....Minus the snips. What are those, anyhow?!?!

I'm clearing off our dining room table. Now this is no ordinary dining room table. First of all, it's not even in a dining room. It's in our kitchen.

Second, not just dining happens at this table. This is the setting for homework, painting, playdough fun, drinking games, chatting, meetings, school projects, and sometimes, even ironing. One might call it a "life table".

So, as I'm clearing off random toys my 5 year old left behind before school today, I pick up a book. This book is from his school, and has been in our home for over a week. As I'm carrying it to it's clip on the fridge, something falls to the floor.

IT'S A SNAIL.

Now, this isn't the first time I've found a snail in random places in my home. Once, there was a poor, smushed snail in my 7 year old's backpack. Another time, in his lunchbox. More often than not, they're in their pants pockets. Sometimes they even get a spin in the washing machine. Once, the dryer.

This one WAS ON MY TABLE. WHERE I EAT.

How long had it been there? Which little boy brought home this friend? It was still very much alive, even poking out it's long, slimy eyeballs to say hello to me. WHY IS THIS DISGUSTING THING IN MY HOME, ON MY TABLE, IN THE SPOT WHERE I ALWAYS EAT?!?!

This is what it's like being the mommy to two boys. A life full of random snail trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment